Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dining Room Makeover

We've been our house a little over two years and I don't think we've finished one room yet! I can't believe how long it takes.  Well, I thought I would share some of the progress we have made on our dining room. Probably the most blood, sweat and tears have gone into this room.

It started with this picture....


I loved the mix of antiques and neutrals. My biggest love would have to be the chandelier (ummm still waiting....husband, are you reading?). So from here the hunt began, I was looking for an antique dining room set. After a couple months of perusing Craigslist, I found this!


For $300 bucks it was mine (dining room table, 6 chairs, a buffet and a hutch). My husband really did think I was losing my mind when we picked this up....bless him for just trusting me!

I started with the buffet and hutch. I knew I wanted these to be white. I popped over to Centsational girl's blog for some furniture painting tips. This is a process and if I had one piece of advice for you guys I'd say "DONT rush it." Know that it is going to take time....don't wait until the day before a dinner party to try to finish it. Trust me, nothing is more embarrasing then the handles falling off the hutch in the middle of dinner. Oh yeah, true craftsmanship right here.

After this, it was on to the chairs. I tried really hard to use white slip covers. But after a year, they just weren't working. Too drapey and not a snug enought fit. So then the hunt for chairs was back on. I wanted parson, rolled back chairs in a neutral color. Not to specific right? Wrong! Could NOT find anything in a reasonable price range. But ALAS, we found our chairs that were all of the above, but tufted as well. Score! Oh, and they were at Costco thank you very much.

Before the final picture, I should also share that I decided to also stain the table a darker color. Centsational girl has some good tutorials as well.

So here is the before and after!

!

 I LOVE it! Still have some special things here and there but overall it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment