Sunday, May 6, 2012

Good As New

Last year I saw this post on making your own wooden bench. I absolutely loved it and knew of a perfect place for it!

I wanted the wood to look distressed and have that reclaimed wood look. Well, home depot doesn't carry this and after calling some lumber yards, I realized that I would have better luck taking a drive into the country looking for old worn down barns. Now the writer of this post was able to find some local wood and so definitely give it a shot. But for me I just decided to shelf this idea and move on to other projects.

BUT.....a few months later the hubs and I were on a nice walk near Folsom Lake and about a quarter mile away I spied this very nice plank of wood. I figured it must have been one of the wooden picnic tables that had been washed away when the lake level rose.

We hiked down to the wood and I was so stoked because it was perfect.  "DANGIT!", my husband said. Being a mile or so out was not going to make this a fun walk back. And of course we couldn't go through the entrance because what if the ranger didn't want us taking this. So we took an alternate route. Long story short, husband carried it and looked like Jesus carrying his cross and we ended up lost and in someones backyard. Ha ha, it was comical but in the end we made it home with a perfect piece of wood.

I promptly ordered the hairpin legs from the site listed in the tutorial ($16 per leg). When they arrived we went and got the screws we needed from the local hardware store, gave the wood a very light sanding and put her all together.

She sits in our living room adjacent our couches and is the perfect little bench. I must add that kids love this thing! It's just the right level for them.

So in the end I spent under $70 and had a very one of a kind local piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment