Friday, May 11, 2012

For the Love of a Dog

Over the last year we have been fighting an awful no good tumor on our dog Ruby's leg. It has been a roller coaster, sometimes good news but more often bad news. We have done everything we possibly can do to help our little girl. She's had two surgeries and radiation treatment- both of which have been very painful for her. Through it all she has remained so very sweet and just looks at us with those eyes that seem to be saying "please help me."  Unfortunately, there is nothing more we can do and very soon she will lose her leg.

It's funny because before we got her, John and I were never dog people. We couldn't even pet a dog without washing our hands. We liked dogs but could never understand why people would spend so much money on their pets. So before we got her, we set a limit- 1K MAX, or get rid of them. Sounds so heartless now, right? Well, we certainly did not hold to that.

From the second this little thing was put in our arms, we just loved her....


Every maternal/paternal instinct we had was immediately turned on. There are so many things great about her.  One being that she is just the biggest love bug and always has to be with us. Especially when she sleeps...



We've had so many great memories over the last two and a half years. Lots of trips and fun outdoors.


We are not losing our girl but things are going to change. She won't be chasing turkeys, or going on long runs with us, or racing around the house.....it's hard and we are very sad. I know that dogs actually do much better than humans with amputation and so going forward I will be very positive about this. But for today, I am sad for her and all the things she won't do again.

It's okay Rubes, your going to be okay and we will take good care of you....


2 comments:

  1. my gosh... I'm about to start crying! She's beautiful Andrea! And I'm totally partial to the black noses=) I can never get enough of those puppy pictures--they make me want to get another puppy! I know Roxann would love playing with Ruby!! She'll be running around in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abi, yeah she's our special girl. Ha ha, I know! You see those puppy pics and you almost forget how much work it was! thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete